- This event has passed.
CVC-OEI | Introduction to Online Teaching & Learning
Monday, August 23, 2021 | 12:00 am - Saturday, September 18, 2021 | 11:55 pm
Note: Users cannot register for this course through the Vision Resource Center. This course requires access/registration outside of the Vision Resource Center. If you would like to track the time you spent attending any trainings from external providers please record your time using External Training and the time will be reflected on your Learning Transcript.
Registration Link: https://catalog.onlinenetworkofeducators.org/
Great teaching can happen anywhere, but teaching online requires different skills, strategies, and tools than face-to-face teaching. In this 4-week course, learn how to support the success of diverse students online, foster inclusion through student-centered activities and communications, and be present for your students. We’ll walk you through the pertinent federal, state, and local regulations impacting online teaching and set you on the path to designing equitable online courses.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the unique needs of California community college students and the challenges and opportunities of online courses;
- Identify and discuss federal and state regulations that impact online course policy and practice;
- Identify local support for online teachers and learners;
- Design introductory communications and activities that support diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- Develop equitable online course policies written with student-centered language;
- Develop awareness of accessibility basics;
- Prepare personalized messages to support struggling students.
This is an introductory course designed for individuals preparing to teach an asynchronous online course. Though it does not fulfill a requirement for an @ONE certificate, it is a required course for online teaching preparation at many California community colleges. Please check with your local college to find out more.
Duration: 4 weeks
Time Commitment: approximately 10 hours per week, for a total of 40 hours
Prerequisite: Completion of Introduction to Teaching with Canvas or equivalent skills
Level of Difficulty: Beginning
Optional Continuing Education Credit
Participants in this course can seek optional professional development/continuing education credits by dual-enrolling. A separate fee to the university for graduate-level credit will apply. To learn more, visit Course & CEU Information
Note: Users cannot register for this course through the Vision Resource Center. This course requires access/registration outside of the Vis