- This event has passed.
CVC-OEI | Humanizing Challenge
Wednesday, January 20, 2021 | 8:00 am - Friday, January 22, 2021 | 5:00 pm
Are you missing your students? Are you concerned about how this lack of human connection might affect your vulnerable students? Join us for this encore of the CVC-OEI/@ONE Humanizing Challenge! You will discover helpful trauma-informed strategies that will help you cultivate a learning environment in which your students feel seen, valued, and safe.
What is humanizing?
Humanized online teaching ensures the affective dimensions of learning are addressed through instructor-student relationships and community, allowing trust, connection and empathy to drive engagement and rigor. The 3-day Humanizing Challenge will engage you in inquiry about your unconscious biases and how they influence your online teaching. Using an asset-based mindset, you will see and improve barriers that prevent many of your students from achieving their full potential. By participating, you will gain knowledge of online teaching practices that support neuroscience and culturally responsive pedagogy and be more prepared to mitigate the effects of trauma on your students.
To participate in this 3-day event, we invite you to register for free for the 1-hour live sessions on days one, two, and three; plan to spend time each day completing the self-directed activities; and share your amazing work with your peers!
The Humanizing Challenge will support you with achieving the following goals:
- Engage in actions that decenter white dominant culture and establish inclusive environments in which all students are seen and valued.
- Recognize the influence of trauma on your teaching and your students’ learning.
- Identify the connection between instructor-student relationships, engagement, and rigor.
- Identify online strategies that send cues of trust to students.
- Record, host, and caption a 2-3 minute, imperfect welcome video for your course.
- Create a Liquid Syllabus with Google Sites to initiate positive instructor-student relationships at a distance.
- Be prepared to further develop relationships with your students and leverage those connections to ensure they reach their full intellectual potential.
Who should attend?
This is a free online event supported by CVC-OEI/@ONE, a statewide initiative funded by the California Community College (CCC) Chancellors’ Office. While it is designed for CCC faculty and staff, it is open to the public. The Humanizing Challenge will benefit faculty who teach online and those who support faculty.
What skills are required?
To be successful, participants should possess the ability to navigate between multiple browser tabs or windows, download and upload files, record video with either a smartphone or webcam, and troubleshoot issues independently.
What technology is needed?
Participants will need access to a reliable and stable internet connection. To complete the self-guided activities, participants will need a free Google account and either a smartphone, a webcam, or a free Adobe Spark account.
What credit can you receive?
- Verification of attendance for live sessions (up to 4-hours). You will receive one email for each live session you attend. Use that email for flex credit at your college. Decisions about flex credit are made at the college level so please check with your college’s flex coordinator for more information.
- Please note, self-guided activities are entirely self-paced and are not eligible for attendance verification from CVC-OEI/@ONE.
What if I can’t attend every session?
Each day of the Humanizing Challenge i